[ghc-steering-committee] Committee Discussion : Lazy unboxed tuples

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Wed Jul 12 01:01:36 UTC 2017

Ryan,

I am generally in favour of this proposal — it appears to be a useful clean up.

However, I like to make two remarks on the process here — sorry if that appears nitpicky, but I think, it makes a difference.

(1) To keep the committee discussion smooth and quick, we did agree that the committee discussion is only on the proposal document. If any public discussion is relevant to the committee decision, it ought to be integrated into the proposal document (by the person who wrote the proposal) before the committee discussion. Specifically, I have no idea what you are talking about with Options (1) - (4) on that thread.

(2) The Shepherd ought to propose a decision in favour or against the proposal. This is the default decision if nobody on the committee disagrees. I think, this is a useful policy as it serves as a forcing function for the discussion. So, what is your default decision?

Manuel