Searching tickets

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:37:28 UTC 2023

> I belive that the search bar at the top of
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/ only searches the issues'
> title and description.

That is ... disappointing to say the least.

It is possible to search in comments via
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/search?group_id=2&project_id=1&scope=notes.

Alas that interface has no way to sort by date or anything else -- as you
say, not very useful.

Sadly, searching for "Haskeline" here turns up over 300 results and none
> of which are the ticket you are looking for

very very sadly

These days, search is basically a solved problem.  I wonder if Gitlab have
any interest in picking up a solution and deploying it?  It seems deeply
sad that Gitlab should be so deficient here.  When you have 20,000 tickets,
search isn't optional  any more .. it's a key tool.

I tend to use google with the extra keyword site:
> gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues, as it often has better search
> results than gitlab itself. It doesn't work too well for very recent
> tickets though

Yes: site:gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues haskeline
-fspecialize-aggressively doesn't find it.  Not working well for recent
tickets (this one is 2 weeks old) is a huge drawback.

Boo.  Thanks for responses though

Simon