Consistent CI failure in job nightly-i386-linux-deb9-validate

Bryan Richter bryan at haskell.foundation
Wed Sep 28 07:57:33 UTC 2022

Hi all,

For the past week or so, nightly-i386-linux-deb9-validate has been failing
consistently.

They show up on the failure dashboard because the logs contain the phrase
"Cannot allocate memory".

I haven't looked yet to see if they always fail in the same place, but I'll
do that soon. The first example I looked at, however, has the line "xz:
(stdin): Cannot allocate memory", so it's not GHC (alone) causing the
problem.

As a consequence of showing up on the dashboard, the jobs get restarted.
Since they fail consistently, they keep getting restarted. Since the jobs
keep getting restarted, the pipelines stay alive. When I checked just now,
there were 8 nightly runs still running. :) Thus I'm going to cancel the
still-running nightly-i386-linux-deb9-validate jobs and let the pipelines
die in peace. You can still find all examples of failed jobs on the
dashboard:

https://grafana.gitlab.haskell.org/d/167r9v6nk/ci-spurious-failures?orgId=2&from=now-90d&to=now&refresh=5m&var-types=cannot_allocate

To prevent future problems, it would be good if someone could help me look
into this. Otherwise I'll just disable the job. :(