Runtime linker

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Sep 13 19:18:45 UTC 2022

Lana Black <lanablack at amok.cc> writes:

> Hello,
>
> My personal project involves making a port of GHC for an almost bare-bones
> environment, which doesn't provide runtime linking support. GHC configure
> script sets `TargetHasRTSLinker` flag, but it seems to be ignored in RTS
> itself, and the linker is built regardless.

Just to confirm: By "runtime linking" do you mean dynamic linking or support in the
RTS's own linker? In general GHC uses "runtime linking" to mean the latter.

> Is this a regression, perhaps due to the migration from Makefiles to Hadrian?
> Or is building RTS without runtime linker no longer supported?

I suspect what you are observing is expected behavior: The linker is
built regardless of whether TargetHasRTSLinker is set. This field is
really only used by the testsuite driver to skip tests which would
require the RTS linker.

Cheers,

- Ben