Updating haddock

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 19:33:42 UTC 2022

Dear devs

I'm working on !8750, which has some knock-on changes that are needed on
the Haddock repo.   So

   - in the main repo I have wip/T21623
   - in the utils/haddock repo have branch wip/spj-T21623

Periodically I need to rebase on master.

Question: what is the Blessed Sequence of Commands that I should use to
push the right changes to haddock?  I think it is something like:

   1. In the main GHC repo, on branch wip/T21623
   1. git fetch
      2. git rebase origin/master
   2. In utils/haddock,
   1. identify the set of patches P1..Pn between the trunk and my haddock
      tip, the changes that I need to haddock.
      2. Somehow check out the haddock commit K that corresponds to
      origin/master
      3. Apply P1..Pn on top of K
      4. Force-push to origin/wip/spj-T21623
      3. Move to the main GHC repo
      1. git add utils/haddock
      2. Create a patch for that change
      3. Push to main repo

But I am not sure how to do step 2.2, nor what is an efficient way to do
2.3.

I would welcome very precise instructions.  Thank you!