devel2 build flavour thoughts

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 09:50:00 UTC 2022

Hi all,

In semi-private I have been making very bold claims about the
unsuitability of the devel2 as a build flavour of choice for the
aspiring developer.

In order to bolster my claim I set out to find out some statistics about

1. devel2 flavour
2. default+no_profiled_libs+omit_pragmas+assertions flavour

The difference between the two is essentially that flavour (2) builds
each module with optimisation but disables cross-module optimisation
(in particular inlining)

In short the difference between the two flavours is negligible from my
testing apart from one larger difference when building larger
packages.

Full build + test: Near identical
Testsuite run: Near identical
Recompile: Near identical - (2) is slower
Build Cabal: 167s vs 259s

So if you want to build packages use flavour 2 but otherwise it seems
to make little difference.

Cheers,

Matt