Question about retaining / deferring /defaulting ambiguous predicates (was Question about ambiguous predicates in pattern bindings)

Benjamin Redelings benjamin.redelings at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 20:55:39 UTC 2022

Hi,

1. I think I have clarified my problem a bit.  It is actually not
related to pattern bindings. Here's an example:

h = let f c   i = if i > 10 then c else g c 'b'
         g 'a' w = f 'b' 10
         g z   w = z
     in (f 'a' (1::Int), f 'a' (1.0::Double))

If I am understanding the Haskell type system correctly,

* the definitions of f and g form a recursive group

* the monomorphism restriction is not invoked

* the inner binding (to f and g) leads to a local value environment (LVE):

{ f :: Char -> a -> Char; g :: Char -> Char -> Char }

with predicates (Num a, Ord a)

2. In this situation, Typing Haskell in Haskell suggests that we should
NOT apply the predicates to the environment because the type for g does
not contain 'a', and would become ambiguous (section 11.6.2).  Instead,
we should only apply predicates to the environment if their type
variables are present in ALL types in the current declaration group.

Since the predicates (Num a, and Ord a) are not retained, then we cannot
quantify over a.

It seems like this should make `f` monomorphic in a, and thus we should
not be able apply (f 'a') to both (1::Int) and (1::Double).

Does that make any sense?

3. GHC, however, compiles this just fine.  However, if I add "default
()", then it no longer compiles.

4. On further reflection, Typing Haskell in Haskell applies defaulting
rules when evaluating each binding, and not just at the top level.  So
this might be part of where my code is going wrong.

-BenRI