Deprecating Safe Haskell, or heavily investing in it?

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:13:28 UTC 2022

Hello,

I disagree that Safe Haskell is a failed experiment, and I think with a
little work could be a very valuable tool for auditing Haskell source code.

The main change I think we should make is to completely remove the source
code annotations, and instead expose an external mechanism (e.g. some sort
of file) for specifying which potentially unsafe modules one trusts and
which modules should be safe under those assumptions.  Then GHC can do the
checking and inference just like now, and people can make their own safety
configurations depending on the threat model.

Iavor