Advice for implementing GADTs?

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 22:45:58 UTC 2022

QUESTION 1: Are there any obviously important resources that I've
overlooked?
That's a good list.  Ningning's thesis https://xnning.github.io/ is also
good stuff.

QUESTION 2: if my quick scan is correct, none of the papers mention the GHC
technique of determining untouchability by assigning "levels" to type
variables.  Is there any written paper (outside the GHC sources) that
discusses type levels?
It is disgracefully undocumented, I'm afraid.  Sorry.  Didier Remy used
similar ideas, in some INRIA papers I think.

QUESTION 3: My impression is that:

(a) type variable levels were introduced in order to clarify which
MetaTyVars are "untouchable", but

(b) levels now also check that type variables do not escape their
quantification scope.

(c) levels can also be used to figure out which variables are free in the
type environment, and therefore should not be generalized over.

Does this sound right?  I suspect that I might be wrong about the last
one...

Correct about all three. Except that a unification variable is only
untouchable if it comes from an outer level *and* there are some
intervening Given equalities.   If there are no equalities it's not
untouchable.  E.b.
   f = \x -> case x of
Just y -> 3::Int

Here the (3::Int) can affect the result type of the function because the
Just pattern match does not bind any Given equalities (in a GADT like way).

I keep meaning to write an updated version of Practical type inference for
arbitrary rank types
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/practical-type-inference-for-arbitrary-rank-types/>,
but failing to get around to it!

Simon