Avoiding `OtherCon []` unfoldings, restoring definitions from unfoldings

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:12:53 UTC 2022

Top-level data structures tend to get OtherCon [] unfoldings when they
are marked NOINLINE.

KindRep bindings are one particular example, and they appear quite
often, too.

Why are KindReps are NOINLINE? Because (from Note [Grand plan for
Typeable])

   The KindReps can unfortunately get quite large. Moreover, the
simplifier will
   float out various pieces of them, resulting in numerous top-level
bindings.
   Consequently we mark the KindRep bindings as noinline, ensuring that
the
   float-outs don't make it into the interface file. This is important
since
   there is generally little benefit to inlining KindReps and they would
   otherwise strongly affect compiler performance.

But perhaps it's not top-level *data structures* without unfoldings that
Gergő worries about.

Sebastian