Avoiding `OtherCon []` unfoldings, restoring definitions from unfoldings

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:25:30 UTC 2022

 Merging with my other question about shadowing problems with
`toIface*`, in summary it seems that what I really should be doing, is
compiling up to Tidy, taking the `CoreBinding`s from there and using
`toIfaceBinding` on them to save the definitions.

It's hard for me to be helpful here, because I don't know what invariants
you want.  They might be:

   - ANF
   - Fully saturated primops
   - No shadowing of OccNames
   - Globally unique Uniques

or some combination of these.  (Perhaps more -- read Note [CorePrep
Overview]!)

If you can write down precisely what you want, you can probably achieve it,
starting from either the output of Tidy or the output of Prep.

What is missing in GHC is a clear statement of the invariants on the output
of Tidy, for which I opened #21333.  If you felt able to offer an MR for
that, it'd be fantastic.

Simon