GHC development with VSCode

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon Sep 20 17:03:27 UTC 2021

Richard Eisenberg <lists at richarde.dev> writes:

> Hi devs,
>
> I have migrated to use VSCode instead of emacs. There are the usual switchover pains, but I'm mostly pleased. One particular point of pleasure was that I had to do nothing, at all, to get VSCode working within the GHC code base. (Well, I had to switch to Hadrian, but perhaps that's for the best.)
>
> My problem: VSCode over GHC pins my processor at 100% if I edit anything. Any advice for fixing this?
>
> A little more detail: When VSCode starts up, it spends a while "processing" and "indexing" (no idea what these mean). OK. I can pay that one-time cost. But as I start editing, etc., it needs to process and index a lot more. Somewhat continuously. This slows my computer down generally, and -- more annoyingly -- slows down my builds (run in a separate terminal).

I suspect you are using not just VS Code (which generally performs
fairly well on files of "reasonable" size) but also Haskell Language
Server; is this so?

Indeed it is sadly true that LSP is currently a bit sluggish on GHC.
This is something that Matt Pickering has done a bit of work on the
past; he may have some concrete guidance for how to improve matters.
In the past he has suggested to me that disabling some language server
functionality helps matters.

Cheers,

- Ben