Documenting GHC: blogs, wiki pages, Notes, Haddocks, etc

Zubin Duggal zubin at well-typed.com
Wed Sep 15 07:27:11 UTC 2021

On 21/09/14 16:54, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs wrote:

>Yes, exactly. Notes have evolved into such a compellingly useful part of GHC that I really think they deserve Haddock support.
>
>But here’s another tension: the Haddock for a function should be about the user interface; its specification.  But many Notes are specifically about the details of an implementation.

We could have haddock recognise and link the Note syntax in the
hyperlinked source only, not the exported documentation. Haddock could
process all comments, not just documentation comments for declarations
('-- |' '-- ^' etc.) and provide a way to identify and link to other
comments and declarations. These links could show up in the hyperlinked
source instead of the haddock page detailing the API.