Resources on how to implement (Haskell 98) kind checking?

Benjamin Redelings benjamin.redelings at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:42:33 UTC 2021

Oh, I forgot to add, would it make sense to put some of the information
I discovered about implementing kind checking into the wiki somewhere?
I am mostly thinking of a sequence of steps like:

1. Divide class, data/newtype, type synonym, and instance declarations
into recursive groups.

1a) Record for each group which LOCAL typecons are mentioned in the
declaration

1b) ... etc

2. Infer kinds within a recursive group

2a) Treat type classes as having kind k1 -> k2 -> ... -> kn -> Constraint

2b) Begin by recording a kind k1 -> k2 -> ... -> kn -> Constraint/* for
each typecon

2c) etc...

2d) Substitute kind variables (zonking)

2e) Substitute * for remaining kind variables (zapping)

3. ...

I am not actually sure what to write yet, the above is just an illustration.

It might also help to reference the relevant papers (mostly the
PolyKinds paper), and maybe also to mention papers like the THIH paper
that don't actually implement kind checking.

-BenRI