DWARF support

Andreas Klebinger klebinger.andreas at gmx.at
Wed Nov 17 16:26:02 UTC 2021

Am 17/11/2021 um 17:08 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> For windows we have Portable Executable (PE) as the container format.
> This implies that the DWARF work is (unsurprisingly) completely inapplicable for Windows.
It's not quite as simple. Dwarf info can be embedded into windows
executables/libraries. Tools that understand dwarf can read that
information and use it.
However many tools on windows don't understand dwarf debugging
information since windows has it's own debugging format.

So it's not quite as helpful as on linux where everyone agreed to use
dwarf. But it still can be used for some things.

E.g. there are debuggers on windows (lldbg, gdb) that can read and use
this information.

Further we could in theory start emitting the same information in the
windows native format. In that case we could re-use much of the
work that went into GHC to allows us to collect debugging information.
Putting into the right format comes fairly late in the pipeline and
all steps up to that could be shared.

Cheers

Andreas