Case split uncovered patterns in warnings or not?

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Wed Nov 10 03:44:50 UTC 2021

Maybe the answer should depend on whether the scrutinee has already been forced. The new output ("We now say", below) offers up patterns that will change the strictness behavior of the code. The old output did not.

Reading the link below, I see that, previously, there was an inconsistency with -XEmptyCase, which *did* unroll one level of constructor. But maybe that made sense because -XEmptyCase is strict (unlike normal case).

I'm just saying this because I think listing the constructors in the -XEmptyCase case is a good practice, but otherwise I think they're clutterful... and strictness is a perhaps more principled way of making this distinction.

Richard