Type inference of singular matches on GADTs

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Mar 30 03:57:45 UTC 2021

As usual, I want to separate out the specification of a feature from the implementation. So let's just focus on specification for now -- with the caveat that there might be no possible implementation of these ideas.

The key innovation I see lurking here is the idea of an *exhaustive* function, where we know that any pattern-match on an argument is always exhaustive. I will write such a thing with @->, in both the type and in the arrow that appears after the lambda. The @-> type is a subtype of -> (and perhaps does not need to be written differently from ->).

EX1: \x @-> case x of HNil -> blah

This is easy: we can infer HList '[] @-> blah's type, because the pattern match is declared to be exhaustive, and no other type grants that property.

EX2: \x @-> (x, case x of HNit -> blah)

Same as EX1.

EX3: \x @-> case x of { HNil1 -> blah; HNil2 -> blah }

Same as EX1. There is still a unique type for which the patten-match is exhaustive.

EX4: Reject. There are multiple valid types, and we don't know which one to pick. This is like classic untouchable-variables territory.

EX5: This is hard. A declarative spec would probably choose HL2 [a] -> ... as you suggest, but there may be no implementation of such an idea.

EX6: Reject. No type leads to exhaustive matches.

I'm not saying this is a good idea for GHC or that it's implementable. But the idea of having type inference account for exhaustivity in this way does not seem, a priori, unspecified.

Richard