Options for targeting Windows XP?

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Mar 25 21:05:08 UTC 2021

Clinton Mead <clintonmead at gmail.com> writes:

> Another gotcha that I didn't think of. The machines I'm targeting often
> have 32 bit versions of Windows, which it looks like isn't supported after
> GHC 8.6.
>
> Does this move it into the too hard basket?

Ooph, yeah, this makes matters a bit worse. The reason we
ultimately dropped 32-bit Windows support wasn't even a GHC bug;
rather, a (rather long-standing at this point) bug in binutils
(#17961) which made it impossible to reliably produce binary
distributions.

My recollection is that this but only affected builds of the object
files used by GHCi. If you don't use GHCi then you can likely disable
the production of these objects.

Cheers,

- Ben