Type inference of singular matches on GADTs

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 22 10:31:03 UTC 2021

What would you expect of

  1.  \x -> case x of HNil -> blah

Here the lambda and the case are separated.

  1.  \x -> (x, case x of HNil -> blah)

Here the lambda and the case are separated more, and x is used twice.

What if there are more data constructors that share a common return type?

  1.  data HL2 a where

HNil1 :: HL2 []

HNil2 :: HL2 []

HCons :: …blah…

\x -> case x of { HNil1 -> blah; HNil 2 -> blah  }

Here HNil1 and HNil2 both return HL2 [].   Is that “singular”?   What if one was a bit more general than the other?   Do we seek the least common generalisation of the alternatives given?

The water gets deep quickly here.  I don’t (yet) see an obviously-satisfying design point that isn’t massively ad-hoc.

Simon