On CI

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Wed Mar 17 15:06:28 UTC 2021

Yes, I think the counter point of "automating what Ben does" so people
besides Ben can do it is very important. In this case, I think a good
thing we could do is asynchronously build more of master post-merge,
such as use the perf stats to automatically bisect anything that is
fishy, including within marge bot roll-ups which wouldn't be built by
the regular workflow anyways.

I also agree with Sebastian that the overfit/overly-synthetic nature of
our current tests + the sketchy way we ignored drift makes the current
approach worth abandoning in any event. The fact that the gold standard
must include tests of larger, "real world" code, which unfortunately
takes longer to build, I also think is a point towards this asynchronous
approach: We trade MR latency for stat latency, but better utilize our
build machines and get better stats, and when a human is to fix
something a few days later, they have a much better foundation to start
their investigation.

Finally I agree with SPJ that for fairness and sustainability's sake,
the person investigating issues after the fact should ideally be the MR
authors, and definitely definitely not Ben. But I hope that better
stats, nice looking graphs, and maybe a system to automatically ping MR
authors, will make the perf debugging much more accessible enabling that
goal.

John