On CI

Spiwack, Arnaud arnaud.spiwack at tweag.io
Wed Mar 17 09:53:28 UTC 2021

Ah, so it was really two identical pipelines (one for the branch where
Margebot batches commits, and one for the MR that Margebot creates before
merging). That's indeed a non-trivial amount of purely wasted
computer-hours.

Taking a step back, I am inclined to agree with the proposal of not
checking stat regressions in Margebot. My high-level opinion on this is
that perf tests don't actually test the right thing. Namely, they don't
prevent performance drift over time (if a given test is allowed to degrade
by 2% every commit, it can take a 100% performance hit in just 35 commits).
While it is important to measure performance, and to avoid too egregious
performance degradation in a given commit, it's usually performance over
time which matters. I don't really know how to apply it to collaborative
development, and help maintain healthy performance. But flagging
performance regressions in MRs, while not making them block batched merges
sounds like a reasonable compromise.