Pointer-or-Int 63-bit representations for Integer

Sylvain Henry sylvain at haskus.fr
Mon Mar 8 18:32:41 UTC 2021

Hi Chris,

It has been considered in the past. There are some traces in the wiki:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/replacing-gmp-notes

 >> The suggestion discussed by John Meacham
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-August/010670.html>,
Lennart Augustsson
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-August/010664.html>,
Simon Marlow
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-August/010677.html>
and Bulat Ziganshin
<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-August/010687.html>
was to change the representation of Integer so the Int# does the work of
S# and J#: the Int# could be either a pointer to the Bignum library
array of limbs or, if the number of significant digits could fit into
say, 31 bits, to use the extra bit as an indicator of that fact and hold
the entire value in the Int#, thereby saving the memory from S# and J#.

It's not trivial because it requires a new runtime representation that
is dynamically boxed or not.

 > An unboxed sum might be an improvement? e.g. (# Int# | ByteArray# #)
-- would this "kind of" approximate the approach described? I don't have
a good intuition of what the memory layout would be like.

After the unariser pass, the unboxed sum becomes an unboxed tuple: (#
Int# {-tag-}, Int#, ByteArray# #)
The two fields don't overlap because they don't have the same slot type.

In my early experiments before implementing ghc-bignum, performance got
worse in some cases with this encoding iirc. It may be worth checking
again if someone has time to do it :). Nowadays it should be easier as
we can define pattern synonyms with INLINE pragmas to replace Integer's
constructors.

Another issue we have with Integer/Natural is that we have to mark most
operations NOINLINE to support constant-folding. To be fair benchmarks
should take this into account.

Cheers,
Sylvain