abstract interpreter for GHC Core or STG

Csaba Hruska csaba.hruska at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 14:17:59 UTC 2021

Hello,

I wonder if there was an attempt in the past to create an abstract
interpreter for GHC Core or STG to approximate the program runtime
behaviour?
I'm curious because I'd like to turn my external STG interterpreter to an
abstract interpreter using the AAM (Abstracting Abstract Machines) method.
This approach seems promising to me because a single Haskell code base (ext
STG interpreter) could be the specification of the Haskell operational
semantics and also be a detailed static analyzer that could help
optimization transformations.
I'm interested in any attempt that happened during GHC/Haskell evolution.

Regards,
Csaba Hruska