GHC and the future of Freenode

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Sun Jun 6 18:06:40 UTC 2021

On 19 May 2021, at 11:48 am, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:

> I personally vote for irc.  Perhaps via Libera.

Perhaps I'm too much of an IRC noob, but I still found it it rather
surprising to be banned from libera.chat (my IP is blacklisted) for
pasting a 25-line build script for building GHC via hadrian on FreeBSD
into the #ghc channel.

This was in response to a discussion about issues with the bindist,
how the port is built, ... and while perhaps I'm expected to use a
paste bin, the abrupt ban was rather a harsh response.

The ban appears to have been "temporary", an hour or so later I am
able to reconnect, but this does not leave a good impression.

--
	Viktor.