value of documenting error messages?

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Thu Jun 3 19:41:35 UTC 2021

By the way, to summarize the discussion on #325, I think the words to use
would be "overwhelming support for short numeric reference ids".

Here's my argument for it:

1. If you try to make the unique id some mangled form of the error's name,
the cognitive burden of crafting errors is increased. Professional
experience leads me to believe this is no laughing matter.

2. A unique id will never replace pithy error messages, clear error names,
nor detailed reference documentation anyway.

3. Numeric ids are internationalized (well, at least multi-nationalized) by
construction.

4. Numeric ids, having no intrinsic meaning, are perfectly
forward-compatible with any potential evolution of error names or
descriptions.

-Bryan