On CI

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Mon Feb 22 17:41:44 UTC 2021

I agree one should be able to get most of the testing value from stage1.
And the tooling team at IOHK has done some work in
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/3652 to allow a
stage 1 compiler to be tested. That's a very important first step!

But TH and GHCi require either iserv (external interpreter) or an
compiler whose own ABI and the outputted ABI match for the internal
interpreter, and ideally we should test both. I think doing a --freeze1
stage2 build *in addition* to the stage1 build would work in the
majority of cases, and that would allow us to incrementally build and
test both. Remember that iserv uses the ghc library, and needs to be ABI
comparable with the stage1 compiler that is using it, so it is less a
panacea than it might seem like for ABI changes vs mere cross compilation.

I opened https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/issues/162 for
an ABI-agnostic interpreter that would allow stage1 alone to do GHCi and
TH a third away unconditionally. This would also allow TH to safely be
used in GHC itself, but for the purposes of this discussion, it's nice
to make testing more reliable without the --freeze1 stage 2 gamble.

Bottom line is, yes, building stage 2 from a freshly-built stage 1 will
invalidate any cache, and so we should avoid that.

John