Plan for GHC 9.2

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Feb 4 18:56:07 UTC 2021

tl;dr. Provisional release schedule for 9.2 enclosed. Please discuss,
       especially if you have something you would like merged for 9.2.1.

Hello all,

With GHC 9.0.1 at long-last out the door, it is time that we start
turning attention to GHC 9.2. I would like to avoid making the mistake
made in the 9.0 series in starting the fork in a state that required a
significant amount of backporting to be releaseable. Consequently, I
want to make sure that we have a fork schedule that is realistic given
the things that need to be merged for 9.2. These include:

 * Update haddock submodule in `master` (Ben)
 * Bumping bytestring to 0.11 (#19091, Ben)
 * Finishing the rework of sized integer primops (#19026, John Ericson)
 * Merge of ghc-exactprint into GHC? (Alan Zimmerman, Henry)
 * Merge BoxedRep (#17526, Ben)
 * ARM NCG backend and further stabilize Apple ARM support? (Moritz)
 * Some form of coercion zapping (Ben, Simon, Richard)
 * Tag inference analysis and tag check elision (Andreas)

If you see something that you would like to see in 9.2.1 please do
holler. Otherwise, if you see your name in this list it would be great
if you could let me know when you think your project may be in a
mergeable state.

Ideally we would strive for a schedule like the following:

    4 February 2021:   We are here
       ~4 weeks pass
    3 March 2021:      Release branch forked
       1 week passes
    10 March 2021:     Alpha 1 released
       3 weeks pass
    31 March 2021:     Alpha 2 released
       2 weeks pass
    14 April 2021:     Alpha 3 released
       2 weeks pass
    28 April 2021:     Alpha 4 released
       1 week passes
    5 May 2021:        Beta 1 released
       1 week passes
    12 May 2021:       Release candidate 1 released
       2 weeks pass
    26 May 2021:       Final release

This provides ample time for stabilization while avoiding deviation from
the usual May release timeframe. However, this would require that we
move aggressively to start getting the tree into shape since the fork
would be less than four weeks away. I would appreciate contributors'
thoughts on the viability of this timeline.

Cheers,

- Ben