Alternatives for representing a reverse postorder numbering

Andreas Klebinger klebinger.andreas at gmx.at
Thu Dec 9 13:24:17 UTC 2021

Hello Norman,

There is no invariant that Cmm control flow is reducible. So we can't
always rely on this being the case.
Depending on what you want to use this for this might or might not matter.

In terms of implementation I think the question is if doing lookups in a
LabelMap is more expensive
than making the CmmGraph representation both more polymorphic, and
putting more info into the Graph.

Which I guess mostly depends on how much mileage we get out of the
numbering. Which is impossible for
me to say in advance. If you only need/use this info for a small part of
the pipeline then keeping it as LabelMap
seems more reasonable. If you have plans to improve all sorts of passes
with this information at various stages
in the pipeline integrating it into CmmGraph seems better. It's
impossible to say without knowing the details.

All that being said I rarely have lost sleep over the overhead of
looking things up in IntMaps.
The constants are pretty good there and it seems reasonable easy to
change it later if needed.