Registering orphan instances and filling the `deps` field of ModIface [RE: Where (else) do I need to register instances from loaded modules?]

Erdi, Gergo Gergo.Erdi at sc.com
Fri Aug 27 06:41:52 UTC 2021

PUBLIC

Re: #1., I've simplified the code by removing all the Unit shuffling: everything is now in mainUnit. Unfortunately, this doesn't change anything other than cutting a cool 100 lines from the MWE code; I'm attaching the new smaller & simpler version. It is based on GHC 9.0.1 with an extra patch to export the first half of mkIfaceTc, just before calling mkFullIface. With this change, it really should be filling everything in ModIface the same way as the real GHC (so e.g. `deps` should be properly filled), modulo the fingerprints.

Unfortunately, the `deps` field of the `ModIface`s created this way still doesn't contain any orphan instance modules: `Class.src`'s deps are empty (which is what I'd expect), `Instance.src` has a dependency in dep_mods (but not in dep_orphs) on `Class {-# SORUCE #-}` (I'm not sure why it's marked as a source import when `Class` module was already loaded into the module providers map before typechecking `Instance`...), and of course `Use.src` still fails so I can't get to its dependencies.

It is confusing to me that the problem should be because of the dep_orphs, because `Instance.src` does NOT use any orphan instances from `Class.src; merely, it provides a new orphan instance for other modules to depend on. Can someone explain this part to me?

Thanks,
	Gergo