Fwd: GHC Module change database

Ari Fordsham arifordsham at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:46:09 UTC 2021

AF

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ari Fordsham <arifordsham at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 16:43
Subject: Re: GHC Module change database
To: Vaibhav Sagar <vaibhavsagar at gmail.com>

That's where I generated it from :-)

It would be nice to generate that from the new database.

My main motivation was as follows: There are two possible paradigms for GHC
API compatibility:

- Export old names for new modules - as in  ghc-api-compat
<https://gitlab.haskell.org/haskell/ghc-api-compat>
  This allows existing code to (kind of) 'just work' - but it doesn't help
in managing that code as it gets extended to use new features

- Export new names to old modules
  I am thinking of working on a tool that does this.
  You need to rewrite code to use current modules (maybe
https://github.com/facebookincubator/retrie/issues/33 will help), but then
you can just target the latest API, and have compatibility built in.
  This seems to me better for active codebases.

  Having a 'single source of truth' database will help with this.

AF