Compiling libraries

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Fri Apr 30 02:26:54 UTC 2021

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> Ben and other friends
> What is the approved way to build libraries with (and for) a compiler that I've just built?
> I tried this:
>
> bash$ cabal v2-install --with-ghc=/home/simonpj/code/ghc-9.2-branch/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 streamly --allow-newer
> but it failed with
>
> Data/Primitive/Types.hs:273:844: error:
>
>     * Couldn't match expected type 'Word#' with actual type 'Word8#'
>
>     * In the fourth argument of 'shimmedSetWord8Array#', namely 'x#'

As noted by others, we maintain head.hackage for precisely this reason.
It's not perfect, but I use it regularly to build Hackage packages with
pre-releases.

I have a draft blog post (which sadly has run into technical challenges
which have prevented publishing) which describes usage [1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/homepage/-/merge_requests/29