What's the modern way to apply a polymorphic function to a Dynamic value in GHC 8.8 and onwards?

YueCompl compl.yue at icloud.com
Mon Apr 12 16:27:01 UTC 2021

Thanks Erik,

With the help from Iceland_jack <https://www.reddit.com/user/Iceland_jack> via /r/haskell <https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell> , I end up with a working solution like this:

```hs
data TypeableInstance a where
  -- data TypeableInstance :: forall k. k -> Type where
  TypeableInstance :: Typeable a => TypeableInstance a

typeableInstance :: forall (k :: Type) (a :: k). TypeRep a -> TypeableInstance a
typeableInstance typeRep' = withTypeable typeRep' TypeableInstance

pattern TypeRep :: forall k (a :: k). () => Typeable a => TypeRep a
pattern TypeRep <-
  (typeableInstance -> TypeableInstance)
  where
    TypeRep = typeRep

holdEvent :: Dynamic -> Dynamic
holdEvent !devs = case devs of
  Dynamic (App eventSink TypeRep) evs' ->
    case eqTypeRep (typeRep @EventSink) eventSink of
      Just HRefl -> Dynamic TypeRep (hcHoldEvent evs')
      Nothing -> error "not an EventSink" -- to be handled properly
  _ -> error "even not a poly-type" -- to be handled properly
  where
    hcHoldEvent :: forall a. EventSink a -> IO (TimeSeries a)
    hcHoldEvent !evs = do
      !holder <- newIORef Nothing
      listenEvents evs $ writeIORef holder . Just
      return $ TimeSeries $ readIORef holder

data EventSink a = EventSink
  { listenEvents :: (a -> IO ()) -> IO (),
    closeStream :: IO ()
  }

instance Functor EventSink where
  fmap = undefined

newtype TimeSeries a = TimeSeries {readTimeSeries :: IO (Maybe a)}

instance Functor TimeSeries where
  fmap = undefined

```

I'm still wrapping my head around it, for how the `pattern TypeRep` works in this case.

Or you think there exists a solution without using such a pattern?

My function (hcHoldEvent) is polymorphic so not eligible to be wrapped as a Dynamic in the first place, or there also some way to specialize it at runtime? That'll be another interesting tool.

Thanks with regards,
Compl