How does GHC implement layout?

Alexis King lexi.lambda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 00:35:59 UTC 2021

On 4/5/21 2:36 PM, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> It was originally designed by John Meacham:
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/haskell/prime/-/wikis/alternative-layout-rule
> https://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-prime@haskell.org/msg01938.html

Thanks, Ian—I had stumbled across a link to the old Haskell Prime trac
wiki while I was searching for information, but I didn’t realize where
it had been migrated to.

> It isn't exactly equivalent to the Haskell layout rule, but it's
> fairly close and much simpler (due to not having the "on a parse
> error" case).

Yes, I gathered as much from the implementation. The idea makes sense,
but of course it doesn’t provide much benefit to have a simpler
implementation unless it actually /replaces/ the “on parse error” approach.

Given this appears to be a long-defunct proposal, a natural followup
question is to ask whether there’s any reason this code is still in GHC.
Is it used for any purpose, or could it be removed?

Alexis