How does GHC implement layout?

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 12:14:29 UTC 2021

Hi Alexis, Hi Iavor,

I'm afraid I'm not particularly acquainted with how GHC implements
indentation-sensitive parsing, but I really like the way in which this book
<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783642175398> frames the problem. If you
look at the preview for the first chapter, you'll notice that (they call
the lexer scanner, and) they introduce an additional pass between lexer and
parser that handles the context-sensitive bits about indentation-sensitive
parsing, which doesn't fit well with the parser (which assumes a
context-free grammar to stay sane) or with the lexer (which should better
be just a simple DFA).

In particular, the short section 1.3 about the screener explicitly mentions
Haskell as use case:

[image: 2021-04-05-140820_543x163_scrot.png]
Although that doesn't really explain the how. Maybe section 2.5 (where impl
of screeners is covered) provides more insight into that.
Screeners are a bit like semantic analysis, but on the token stream instead
of the parse tree.

Reach out in private if you want more excerpts.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Am Mo., 5. Apr. 2021 um 00:19 Uhr schrieb Alexis King <lexi.lambda at gmail.com