How does GHC implement layout?

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 18:52:47 UTC 2021

Hi Alexis,

I wasn't sure what the "alternative layout" is either and did some
googling, and it appears that it is something that was never really
documented properly.   The following link contains pointers to the commit
that introduced it (in 2009!)  (not the main ticket but some of the
comments)

https://ghc-tickets.haskell.narkive.com/htgwkF80/13087-alternativelayoutrule-breaks-lambdacase

Overall, I do think that Haskell's layout rule is more complicated than it
needs to be, and this is mostly because of the rule that requires the
insertion of a "virtual close curly" on a parse error.  This means that the
parser and lexer have to communicate.  I've implemented a few
languages with layout, and usually use a simpler version of layout that
just omits that case.  The benefit is that layout can be implemented as a
simple pre-processor pass on the stream of tokens,  which is much simpler
to specify and implement.   The drawback is that sometimes you have to
write programs in a slightly different way, but nothing that can't be
easily worked around.

My feeling is that it'd be pretty tricky to do layout in the parser with
grammar rules, but you may be able to do something with the parser state.
 I wonder how different it would end up looking though, as in a way that's
exactly what we are doing now, it is just that some of the state is the
lexer.

-Iavor