How is GHC.Prim.unpackInt8X64# meant to be used?

Luite Stegeman stegeman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 08:33:59 UTC 2020

The complication for arbitrary sized unboxed tuples in the interpreter
was mainly because we don't want to generate new Cmm on the fly for
each tuple size. That one probably doesn't apply here, but maybe
others do.

It looks like a fully general solution would require a change to the
calling convention, which required more changes than I hoped. For now
it there will be a limitation in tuple size; the number of words
passed on the stack in the native calling convention:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/luite/ghc/-/commit/f83d08f0247bd7fd590b9be450c6d2d0968caa3c#6ca006a5d6dfdfdb97d0dd72db322e3f6eaa6214_198_217

It's probably not a big problem if GHCi has some size limit here, even
if GHC doesn't (or has a higher limit)

Bumping tuple size limits a bit to make the primops usable (testable?)
looks okay to me.

Luite