!RE: Implicit reboxing of unboxed tuple in let-patterns

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 7 22:01:55 UTC 2020

I think this is the consistent way to interpret your rule (1) that unlifted bindings are always strict

But that’s not what rule (1) says.  It says that a pattern binding is strict iff it binds a variable of unlifted type.

Now I think we agree that your proposal says that a pattern binding is strict iff it or any of its sub-patterns has unlifted type, including wild-cards, variables, and constructor patterns; in fact any sub-pattern.   Call that (2).

So

  *   (1) is necessary.
  *   (2) is strictly stronger, and will make fewer program defined.  But is perhaps less surprising.

I think you could make a proposal out of that if you wanted.  I can’t decide if I like it, myself, but I think that it, too, is simple and consistent.

Simon