Use of forall as a sigil

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Thu Nov 19 19:18:17 UTC 2020

Thanks for the replies! Let's see if I can make a stab at those deeper
questions now.

I'm playing a form of devil's advocate here, dissecting the syntax
with my intuition as a ghc *user*, and trying to bridge the gap to how
ghc *devs* understand it.

So correct me if I'm wrong: from an implementation perspective,
`forall a. a -> Int` is a function of two arguments, one of which can
be elided, while `forall a -> a -> Int` is a function of two
arguments, all of which must be provided.

If that's right, then it bumps into my intuition, which says that the
former is a function of only one argument. I never thought of `f @Int`
as partial function application, for instance. :) Is my intuition
leading me astray? *Should* I consider both functions as having two
arguments? If so, is that somehow "mathematically true" (a very
not-mathematical phrase, haha), or is it just an "implementation
detail"?

So that's one avenue of query I have, but it's actually not the one I
started off with. Focusing on the simpler case of `forall a -> a`,
which is a function of one argument, I take issue with how the
quantification is packed into the syntax for the argument, itself.
I.e., my intuition tells me this function is valid for all types,
takes the name of a type as an argument, and returns a value of that
type, which is three distinct pieces of information. I'd expect a
syntax like `forall a. elem x a. a -> x`, or maybe `forall a. nameof a
-> a`. The packing and punning conspire to make the syntax seem overly
clever. If I had to explain `forall a -> a` to one of my
Haskell-curious colleagues, I'd have to say "Oh that means you pass
the name of a type to the function" -- something they'd have no chance
of figuring out on their own! The 'forall' comes across as
meaningless. (Case in point: I had no idea what the syntax meant when
I saw it -- but I'm already invested enough to go digging.)

I guess my question, then, is if there is some way to make this syntax
more intuitive for users!