Use of forall as a sigil

Richard Eisenberg rae at richarde.dev
Tue Nov 17 14:27:08 UTC 2020

Hi Bryan,

I don't think I understand what you're getting at here. The difference between `forall b .` and `forall b ->` is only that the choice of b must be made explicit. Importantly, a function of type e.g. `forall b -> b -> b` can *not* pattern-match on the choice of type; it can bind a variable that will be aliased to b, but it cannot pattern-match (say, against Int). Given this, can you describe how `forall b ->` violates your intuition for the keyword "forall"?

Thanks!
Richard