A future for the Windows packaging situation.

Compl Yue compl.yue at gmail.com
Thu May 14 09:03:48 UTC 2020

Hey, respectful devs,

Just now I see https://coder.com/ <https://coder.com/> (open source at https://github.com/cdr/code-server <https://github.com/cdr/code-server>), then I realize it may make a good option for windows users to feel home in starting Haskell development.

They happen to be talking about releasing a windows binary from current basis that only Linux/macOS are supported - https://github.com/cdr/code-server/issues/1397#issuecomment-627662902 <https://github.com/cdr/code-server/issues/1397#issuecomment-627662902>

Their mac experience is right about downloading a .zip file from https://github.com/cdr/code-server/releases <https://github.com/cdr/code-server/releases> , unpack it, double-click an executable (security option needs to be tuned as a mac thing), then goto http://localhost:8080/ <http://localhost:8080/> and voila:

Haskell Language Serveralanz.vscode-hie-server can be installed right away

I'd think GHC and Cabal-install can be bundled similarly, with such an IDE and batteries of HIE based extensions.

Maybe some day HLS can hook ghcup/ghcups/stack up to install GHC wrt per project specification, in a cross-platform way.

All the best,
Compl