8.12 plans

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue May 5 18:12:40 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The time is again upon us to start thinking about release planning for
the next major release: GHC 8.12. In keeping with our 6-month release
schedule, I propose the following schedule:

 * Mid-June 2020: Aim to have all major features in the tree
 * Late-June 2020: Cut the ghc-8.12 branch
 * June - August 2020: 3 alpha releases
 * 1 September 2020: beta release
 * 25 September 2020: Final 8.12.1 release

So, if you have any major features which you would like to merge for
8.12, now is the time to start planning how to wrap them up in the next
month or so. As always, do let me know if you think this may be
problematic and we can discuss options.

Cheers,

- Ben