How should we treat changes to the GHC API?

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Tue Jul 28 01:11:29 UTC 2020

Thanks Richard, you raise some important points.

API stability does impose a real cost on developers (working at a company with a firm-wide integration build for the past three years has made me keenly aware of that). But API instability also imposes a real cost on clients.

I think there are a couple things that could be done though, to help lessen the burden, and to share it between devs and clients. One is to define a clear separation between the public API and internal modules. GHC does this to an extent, but as I mentioned earlier, I think it needs a more comprehensive public API (I did not mean that we should just declare more modules as part of the public API, but provide stable wrappers around that functionality). You’re right that GHC devs are not the best suited to define the public API, I think it should be done as a collaboration between clients and devs.

Another option could be to have a transition period for APIs like we do for changes to the language. GHC already commits to waiting a few revisions to use new language features in the name of shortening bootstrapping chains, waiting a few revisions to drop an old API doesn’t feel all that different and would give clients a lot of breathing room.

I don’t want to put the burden of API stability all on GHC devs either, but I do think it could probably be balanced better. And this is where having something like the Steering Committee could help. It doesn’t need to be as formal either, perhaps a small group of stakeholders that get tagged on MRs to the public API, or a mailing list where you solicit feedback.

Sent from my iPhone