How should we treat changes to the GHC API?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 27 11:04:06 UTC 2020

What I’m after is a clear opportunity for informed debate, and a clear yes/no decision.  That need not be high overhead.

It means paying some upfront cost for design changes.  But that’s better than the legacy cost of dealing with things that turn out, in retrospect, to be less well designed than they could be.

We tend to think of APIs as implementation details.  But they are deeply significant, and express key abstractions, just like language designs do.  I think we should treat them just as seriously.

Simon