Feasibility of native RTS support for continuations?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 29 09:32:32 UTC 2020

|  Now that is very interesting, and certainly not something I would have
|  expected! Why would asynchronous exceptions need to capture any portion of
|  the stack? Exceptions obviously trigger stack unwinding, so I assumed the
|  “abort to the current prompt” part of my implementation would already
|  exist, but not the “capture a slice of the stack” part. Could you say a
|  little more about this, or point me to some relevant code?

Suppose a thread happens to be evaluating a pure thunk for (factorial 200). Then it gets an asynchronous exception from another thread.  That asynch exn is nothing to do with (factorial 200). So we could either

A. revert the thunk to (factorial 200), abandoning all
   the work done so far, or
B. capture the stack and attach it to the thunk, so that ie any other
   thread enters that thunk, it'll just run that stack.

Now (A) means that every thunk has to be revertible, which means keeping its original free variables, which leads to space leaks.  And extra work to avoid losing any info you need for reversion.  Extra work is painful; we want to put all of the extra work on the asynch exn.

So we do (B).

See Section 8 of "Asynchronous exceptions in Haskell".
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/asynchronous-exceptions-haskell-3/

And "An implementation of resumable black holes" (Reid).
https://alastairreid.github.io/papers/IFL_98/

This stack-freezing stuff is definitely implemented.   I'm not quite sure where, but I'm cc'ing Simon Marlow who can point you at it.

You need to be careful.  Suppose a thread pushes a prompt, then later evaluates a thunk T1, which in turn evaluates a thunk T2.  If you capture the stack down to the prompt, you MUST overwrite T1 and T2 with a resumable continuation capturing their portion of the stack, in case some other, unrelated thread needs their value.

But as I say, all this is implemented.

Keep us posted.  It'd be good to have a design that accommodated some of the applications in the 'composable scheduler activations' paper too.

Simon