Feasibility of native RTS support for continuations?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 28 10:09:20 UTC 2020

Alexis

I've thought about this quite a bit in the past, but got stalled for lack of cycles to think about it more.  But there's a paper or two:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/composable-scheduler-activations-haskell/

On that link you can also see a link to an earlier, shorter, conference version (rejected šŸ˜Š).

Also this earlier (2007) work

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/lightweight-concurrency-primitives-for-ghc/

On the effects front I think Daan Leijen is doing interesting stuff, although I'm not very up to date:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/daan/publications/

One interesting dimension is whether or not the continuations you capture are one-shot.  If so, particularly efficient implementations are possible.

Also: much of the "capture stack chunk" stuff is *already* implemented, because it is (I think) what happens when a thread receives an asynchronous exception, and just abandon its evaluation of thunks that it has started work on.

Simon