Windows testsuite failures

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 07:02:08 UTC 2020

> Now we have rewritten the CI and it's pointing out actual issues in the
> compiler. And your suggestion is well let's just ignore it.

When is the last time Windows CI caught an actual bug? All I see is random
system failures [1, 2, 3].

It must be catching *some* bugs, but that's a rare event in my experience.

Sure, I don't write Windows-specific code (e.g. IO manager, or library code),
but then why am I fighting the Windows CI literally every day, it makes no
sense. Give an option to skip Windows CI for my patches.

> How about you use some of that energy to help I stead of taking the easy way?
> And I bet you're going to say you don't care about Windows to which I would
> say I don't care about the non-threaded runtime and wish we would get rid of
> it. But can't always get what you want.

I'm not suggesting we release buggy GHCs for Windows or stop Windows support.

> And to say we'll actually fix anything before release doesn't align with what
> I've seen so far, which had me scrambling last minute to ensure we can release
> Windows instead of making releases without it.

Are you saying we skip a platform we support when it's buggy? That makes no
sense. I don't know when did Windows become a first-tier platform but since it
is now we should be releasing Windows binaries similar to Linux and OSX
binaries.

It's not uncommon to do some testing for every patch, and do more comprehensive
testing before releases. We did this many times in other projects in the past
and I know some other compilers do this today.

> Quite frankly I don't need you to tell me to submit MRs to fix it since that's
> what I spent again a lot of time doing. Or maybe you would like to pay my
> paycheck so I can spend more than a considerable amount of my free time on it.

I wish someone paid me for the time I wasted because I'm only paid by the time I
spend productively. I'd be happier waiting for the CI then.

Ömer

[1]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/jobs/237457
[2]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/osa1/ghc/-/jobs/238236
[3]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/osa1/ghc/-/jobs/237279