I'm concerned about the affine-types extension and its impact on ghc and haskell at large

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Wed Feb 19 08:30:22 UTC 2020

Hi Bryan,

the discussion has continued on the original PR for the GHC proposal. See
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/111#issuecomment-583795811
and
following comments.

The tl;dr is that the concerns raised about performance are far too
premature: for their own curiosity someone ran a few benchmarks on the
branch of a merge request marked as WIP in the title and which has not yet
been performance optimized. See also
https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f0jigv/im_concerned_about_the_longterm_impact_of_the/fgxwk9w/.
The conditions that would need to be satisfied before a merge are clear and
include performance requirements:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/111#issuecomment-431944078
.