Troubles when building ghc

Neophytos Michael nmichael at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 18:37:48 UTC 2020

I am having some trouble building ghc on ubuntu.  I have ghc 8.8.4
installed on the machine.  I pulled from the main repository and followed
the instructions here:
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/building/hadrian

Building with:
./hadrian/build -j

it builds for a long time until it finally fails with the message below.  I
would appreciate some advice on how to fix this.

Thank you,
Neo

===========================
Exit code: 1
Stderr and Stdout:
_build/stage1/compiler/build/GHC/Parser/Lexer.hs:3495:3: error:
    Variable not in scope: int16ToInt# :: Int# -> Int#

3495 |   int16ToInt#
     |   ^^^^^^^^^^^

_build/stage1/compiler/build/GHC/Parser/Lexer.hs:3520:3: error:
    Variable not in scope: int32ToInt# :: Int# -> Int#

3520 |   int32ToInt#
     |   ^^^^^^^^^^^
===========================
On that line (in Lexer.hs) we see:

#if __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ >= 901
  int16ToInt#
#endif
    (indexInt16OffAddr# arr off)
#endif

so we are in the "then" clause and somehow "int16ToInt#" is nowhere to be
found.

--
Neo