[ANNOUNCEMENT] Change in MR landing procedure

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Dec 10 06:10:37 UTC 2020

Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:

> tl;dr. On Thursday 10 Dec, Marge-bot will be relocated to a retirement
>        facility. Her duties will henceforth be carried out by GitLab's
>        Merge Train functionality.
>

> Hi all,
>
> When GHC moved to GitLab two years ago the platform lacked a critical
> feature: the ability to manage a queue of merge requests slated to be
> merged. For the past two years we have been using @marge-bot for this
> functionality. While Marge has served us well, she also introduces her
> fair share of failure modes.
>
> In the meantime GitLab has grown proper support for our use-case in the
> form of the "merge train" mechanism [1]. In light of Marge's growing
> intransigence [2], I will grant her a well-earned retirement and begin
> using merge trains for merging MRs starting on Thursday.

Unfortunately, on further testing I found a few additional features
missing from GitLab's merge train implementation that precludes our use
of it currently. It's possible that this will be fix in the near future
but until then it looks like we will need to stick with Marge. I have
opened #19046 to track the migration.

Anyways, please continue to assign mergeable MR's to @marge-bot until
further notice. I'll roll back the Wiki changes tomorrow.

Apologies for the confusion!

Cheers,

- Ben