COMPLETE pragmas

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:26:30 UTC 2020

I'd be over the moon with happiness if I could hang COMPLETE pragmas on
polymorphic types.

I have 3 major issues with COMPLETE as it exists.

1.) Is what is mentioned here:

Examples for me come up when trying to build a completely unboxed 'linear'
library using backpack. In the end I want/need to supply a pattern synonym
that works over, say, all the 2d vector types, extracting their elements,
but right now I just get spammed by incomplete coverage warnings.

type family Elem t :: Type
class D2 where
  _V2 :: Iso' t (Elem t, Elem t)

pattern V2 :: D2 t => Elem t -> Elem t -> t
pattern V2 a b <- (view _V2 -> (a,b)) where
  V2 a b = review _V2 (a,b)

There is no way to hang a COMPLETE pragma on that.

2.) Another scenario that I'd really love to see supported with COMPLETE
pragmas is a way to use | notation with them like you can with MINIMAL
pragmas.

If you make smart constructors for a dozen constructors in your term type
(don't judge me!), you wind up needing 2^12 COMPLETE pragmas to describe
all the ways you might mix regular and start constructors today.

{# COMPLETE (Lam | LAM), (Var | VAR), ... #-}

would let you get away with a single such definition. This comes up when
you have some kind of monoid that acts on terms and you want to push it
down through
the syntax tree invisibly to the user. Explicit substitutions, shifts in
position in response to source code edits, etc.

3.) I had one other major usecase where I failed to be able to use a
COMPLETE pragma:

type Option a = (# a | (##) #)

pattern Some :: a -> Option a
pattern Some a = (# a | #)

pattern None :: Option a
pattern None = (# | (##) #)

{-# COMPLETE Some, None #-}

These worked _within_ a module, but was forgotten across module boundaries,
which forced me to rather drastically change the module structure of a
package, but it sounds a lot like the issue being discussed. No types to
hang it on in the interface file. With the ability to define unlifted
newtypes I guess this last one is less of a concern now?

-Edward